Genealogical Research Society
The GRSEC is a non-profit, education society dedicated to the preservation of genealogy and genealogical sources in the Eau Claire area. Meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month from September through May in the Chippewa Valley Museum in Carson Park, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Meetings begin at 10:00 AM, with informal help and coffee being shared by members at 9:30 AM until the start of the meeting. The public is invited.
Sawdust City Roots is published by the GRSEC for the use of all society members, five times a year: September/October; November/December; January/February; March/April; and May. The GRSEC does not meet during the summer months (June through August). The membership year runs May 1st through April 30th. Membership fee is $10.00 per year, beginning May 1st.
C/O Chippewa Valley Museum
PO Box 1204
Eau Claire WI 54702-1204
Rest Haven Cemetery, Town of Washington, Eau Claire County, WI
Rest Haven Garden Association was formed on May 5, 1953. The original organizers of the cemetery were: John P. Storrs, Marcia A. Storrs, Alve M. Newton, George D. Newton, Douglas J. Curtis, Gwen S. Curtis, and Hazel A. Alf. Douglas J. Curtis served as the first Chairman and Marcia Storrs was the Secretary. Lots sold for $62.50 each. The Town of Washington acquired Rest Haven Gardens Cemetery on September 2, 1999, as a Town Cemetery.
Rest Haven Cemetery is made up of four gardens: Devotion, Last Supper, Christus and Memory. Each garden has about 200 lots, divided into sections each containing up to 16 burial plots. The Garden of Devotion is closest to the Municipal Building and is the oldest garden dating back to the 1950's. Devotion has a statue of a Bible facing the garden. The second oldest garden is Last Supper. Last Supper has a statue facing it with an imitated picture of Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper. Our most current garden is Christus. There is a plot book for each garden in the cemetery office. In this cemetery, all the stones are flat. Posts are put out before the first snowfall marking each section and the numbers within it. Researchers will find them useful if visiting Rest Haven Cemetery during the winter months. Please check with the office for assistance.
There is an area of the cemetery dedicated to infant burials called Angels. It has a total of 100 spaces and is near Christus. Look for the angel statue marking this area.
The Town of Washington has landscaped and dedicated Rest Haven Cemetery as a place of restful and harmonious beauty, and it desires to perpetually maintain the premises not only as a place of comfort to the relatives and friends of deceased loved ones, but one of pride for the entire community. The Cemetery is located behind the Town of Washington Municipal Building at 5750 Old Town Hall Road, Eau Claire, WI.
Submitted with the assistance of Jackie Vold, Deputy Clerk, Town of Washington